Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate the Positive

Thanks for all the Facebook, e-mail, and real life love, friends! As one teacher friend reminded me, I'm still doing good things in my classroom and I should make sure to celebrate those, too. The other day, a student opened up to me about some tough stuff. I felt really honored that she felt like she could trust me just to talk. Another left me this great note before we left for Spring Break (on one of the cards we generally use to send good news home to parents):

Ms. Thornton,
You are the best ever. You might be groutchy (sic) some days, but that's okay. I forgive you. :) If I could send this to your mommy I would. I'm sure she would be proud to know you're amazing. I <3 U!! Oh, and have a good spring break!
<3,
K.

Isn't that lovely? I'm so blessed by so many of my students! Today in eleventh grade, we read children's books to learn about Transcendentalism. They sat in a circle around my chair and we discussed some of the class and gender issues with the movement. Tomorrow we're reading "Song of Myself" and then writing a "Song of Ourselves" to hang up in the hallway. I love that we can be playful and creative in that class!

I also think it's worth pointing out that this is the second semester in a row where my smallest class is also my highest achieving and most fun. Anecdotal, sure, but there it is.

No comments: